School Day Progress Tracking


During our homeschooling journey from kindergarten through now middle school, my kids have always thrived on two elements of scheduling.

1) The Day's Expectations: My kids like knowing at the beginning of the day what is going to happen or what is expected of them. Seeing the plan helps them realize that their school work will eventually end.

2) Completed Work Recognized: My kids are more motivated during the school day when they can see their progress and feel that they have accomplished something.

The way I accomplish this has changed over the years, but some form of it is always a success. Let me show you what I did for the younger grades and then what I'm doing for the older elementary and middle school years, and then adapt these ideas to work for your family!

School Day Progress Tracking for Lower Elementary Students

This system is so simple, but it was just right for us. I put it together very quickly, and then it was reusable day after day! There are a number of ways you can write the subjects (I used cutouts from Dollar Tree) or pin up the pockets, but you see the main idea here. At the beginning of the day, in each child's clear pocket (made from a clear sheet protector), I placed all of the subjects that student would be tackling that day. I usually kept them in order of our routine from front to back. This way the student could always see which subject was coming up. When the subject was completed, they pulled that subject card out of the pocket and placed it in their "Completed" pocket/envelope. This gave them a helpful visual throughout the school day of their progress. And for the next school day, I just popped the subject cards right back in the clear pocket.



School Day Progress Tracking for Upper Elementary & Middle School Students

I created this chart on the computer with the subjects in order of our routine. I could add times, but I've found that they are more focused when they aren't looking at the clock. We are doing a combination of parent-led curricula and BJU's Distance Learning Online program, so in the case of our charts this year, I often put the Day Number in the blank, and that is enough info to keep my student on track for that subject. For other subjects, the Lesson Number is often enough to keep them on track, and sometimes I just write in what I want them to do. For us, it's working as a completely structured and a completely flexible system. When they complete a subject, my kids put on a sticker or color in the box. I only plan a week at a time, because it's just enough to keep me accountable and allow me to adjust if needed without frustration. At the end of the week, I print them each a new chart and I get busy planning.

Do you want a blank printable chart, so you can try out this method?

Save the above image to your computer and then print it.

Comments